So here's my first stab at a podcast... Overall, easy enough to figure out and make. However, there was one hurdle I had to fumble through before I figured it out; how to record. The course directions don't quite match what you see at PodOmatic in that there is no option for "Record using a Microphone"... It only has the option to upload an audio file. What I ended up doing, was using QuickTime to record the audio, and then exported as an MPEG-4. From there, I uploaded it to PodOmatic.
The podcast contains my thoughts about an article published in the March 2015 National Geographic entitled "The Age of Disbelief", by Joel Achenbach. The article explores the old but troubling phenomenon of why so many of us reject the evidence scientists painstakingly compile.
As for using podcasts in a course, I could imagine using them for short introductions to course lessons, emphasizing main take aways, etc., or maybe even as verbal directions/explanations to accompany written directions for assignments, again as a means to stress key aspects, expectations, etc. In addition, I could conceivably envision using podcasts as a way to introduce myself to students as the Course Director or Instructor. Of course, accessibility to podcasts from external hosting sites would be the limiting factor for me. But, to get around that, I probably would simply upload the audio files I made directly to the server, with links to them in the course (skip having to use PodOmatic).
No comments:
Post a Comment